terça-feira, setembro 01, 2015

Iran in 1960 - 70 and how Iran looks like today (47 Pics)

Standard
Tehran university students in 1971
Aerial view of Vali Ahd Square (Meydan e Vali Ahd) in 1971
The Shemshak ski resort in 1971
Medical students at Tehran University
Iranian university students in the 1970s

Mehrabad airport in 1971
Note the four-engined Boeing 707. Mehrabad was to become one of the busiest and most modern airports in Western Asia by the late 1970s

The Kourosh department store in the 1970s

A lady shopping for her young son in the children's section of a Tehran department store
Miss Iran 1967, Shahla Vahabzadeh
Takht e Jamshid Avenue in 1971
A Tehran hospital operating room in 1971





Pahlavi avenue ingress to Vali Ahd Square (Meydan e Vali Ahd) in the 1960s
Entrance to Tehran University in 1971



















Iran Today
"My Father was always very interested in religion. He wrote some books, but I was never religious myself, so I never bothered reading them. He died when I was 25. During the last months of his life, he lost his memory completely. He didn't even recognize me. But he still remembered the words of his books. He could still recite the religious poems and songs that he'd written. So my brothers and I would sit in his room and read his books aloud to him. It was the first time I'd read them. I was suprised by how beautiful his poems were. I never knew he was so talnted." (Tehran, Iran)


"I've fallen in love with literature. I try to read for one or two hours every day. I only have one life to live. But in books I can live one thousand lives." (Rasht, Iran)
"My wife has a brain tumor and I haven't sold a suit in two weeks. I was with my grandson last week and he asked me to buy him a chocolate. But I had nothing in my pockets. I had to tell him: 'Wait until your father comes home.' I wanted to melt into the soil." (Tehran, Iran)
“We’re fighting her lung cancer right now. She’s lost so much weight. We just moved to the sea so the air would be better. We had a close call the other night. I sleep in a different room because I don’t want to wake her with my snoring. But I woke up in the middle of the night and I could feel that something was wrong. I saw her shadow on the wall. I ran out to meet her in the hall, and she was gasping for her last breath. I had to give her an injection in the chest. If I hadn’t seen her shadow, we’d have lost her. Three years ago, the doctors told us that she only had six months. But God has given us three years. We take walks. We play backgammon. We look at photos of the grandchildren. I’m trying to cherish every moment.” (Namakabroud, Iran)
"He tried to take a social studies test for me once. But we got caught because he wrote his own name." (Chalus, Iran)
“Since he was very young, I’ve tried to show him that we can’t always afford the things that we want. When my wallet is full, I show him. When my wallet is empty, I show him. Things have been especially hard lately because my husband has missed a few paychecks. We couldn’t get new supplies for school this year. But he told me: ‘Don’t worry Mom, we’ll get them when the wallet is full.’ And then the other day he saw that I was upset because we couldn’t get all the groceries we needed. So he went into his room and brought me his own savings.” (Anzali, Iran)
“I can draw a lot of things. I can draw trees, the sun, clouds, my mom, and my dad. I once drew a picture of a house that was so good, I had to hide it so nobody would steal it.” (Tehran, Iran)
“It took us ten years, countless doctors appointments, and three miscarriages to have her. So we never feel bothered by her cries.” (Namakabroud, Iran)




“I’m trying to be an artist, but my parents just don’t understand. I showed a painting to my mom, and I was like: ‘Do you like it?’ And she was like: ‘I guess, but why is there a cigarette? Are you smoking now?’
And I was like: ‘No, Mom. The cigarette represents pain.’
And she was like: ‘Did we not love you enough?’” (Tehran, Iran)
“We first met in the bazaar. He owns a shop selling men’s suits. We saw each other, but my parents were with me at the time, so he couldn’t talk to me. But he managed to slip me his phone number. We began to talk, and eight months later I had to tell my parents that a guy who slipped me his phone number wanted to propose marriage. My father was upset. But my mother told him: ‘Calm down. It’s a new generation.’” (Rasht, Iran)
"My dad taught me how to swim!"
"How do you swim?"
"First put on your life jacket and then hold on to the raft." (Anzali, Iran)
“My mother died when I was two years old, so it’s just me and my father. He’s been really angry with me lately. He’s always wanted me to be an engineer like him, but I switched my major to photography. He didn’t’ show any emotion when I told him. He always has a poker face. But I know that he’s angry from the little things. He never asks me to go shopping with him anymore. We used to go to the market together. He’d pick up a watermelon, inspect it, then would hand it to me for my opinion. It doesn’t sound like much but I really valued that time together. But once I changed my major, he stopped asking me to come along. But I think things are getting better. Recently I scored in the top 5th percentile on the University Entrance Exam for photography. When I told my father, he didn’t show any emotion. But the next day he asked me if I wanted to go shopping. And that made me so happy. Because it’s just the two of us. And I really, really, really, really love him.” (Tehran, Iran)

Related post



0 comments:

Postar um comentário